Dental exam and cleaning
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by your dentist at your initial dental visit. At regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will include the following:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) are usually performed by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
We encourage you to contact us with any questions or comments you may have. Please call our office or use the quick contact form below.
I have to say I was pretty nervous, my experience was a pleasant one. I was kept comfortable. I am not going to say it was 100 % pain free, but, for the most part I felt comfortable and relaxed and ev
I LOVE Dr Mack and his staff…they are all awesome!!! I honestly can’t say enough good things about them!! They make going to the Dentist a pleasant experience; I never thought that was possible! I
Dr Mack and the entire office staff is AWESOME!! We started going about 14 years ago because the pediatric dentist couldn’t “handle” my child who has HF Autism. Dr Mack and staff took the time t
At 67 I have had my share of “dental experiences” spread out over various cities in the US. In truth, almost all have been fairly good. But it wasn’t until I discovered Dr Mack and his team at N