It only takes twenty four hours for plaque that is not removed from your teeth to turn into calculus (tartar)! Daily home cleaning helps control plaque and tartar formation, but those hard to reach areas will always need special attention.
Four out of five people have periodontal disease and don’t know it! Most people are not aware of it because the disease is usually painless in the early stages.Once your periodontal treatment has been completed, your dentist and dental hygienist will recommend that you have regular maintenance cleanings (periodontal cleanings), usually four times a year. At these cleaning appointments, the pocket depths will be carefully checked to ensure that they are healthy. Plaque and calculus that is difficult for you to remove on a daily basis will be removed from above and below the gum line.
In addition to your periodontal cleaning and evaluation, your appointment will usually include:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss.X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
- Examination of tooth decay: Check all tooth surfaces for decay.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, cheek tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Oral hygiene recommendations: Review and recommend oral hygiene aids as needed. (Electric toothbrushes, special periodontal brushes, fluorides, rinses, etc.)
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
Good oral hygiene practices and periodontal cleanings are essential in maintaining dental health and keeping periodontal disease under control!
We encourage you to contact us with any questions or comments you may have. Please call our office or use the quick contact form below.
I have to say I was pretty nervous, my experience was a pleasant one. I was kept comfortable. I am not going to say it was 100 % pain free, but, for the most part I felt comfortable and relaxed and ev
I LOVE Dr Mack and his staff…they are all awesome!!! I honestly can’t say enough good things about them!! They make going to the Dentist a pleasant experience; I never thought that was possible! I
Dr Mack and the entire office staff is AWESOME!! We started going about 14 years ago because the pediatric dentist couldn’t “handle” my child who has HF Autism. Dr Mack and staff took the time t
At 67 I have had my share of “dental experiences” spread out over various cities in the US. In truth, almost all have been fairly good. But it wasn’t until I discovered Dr Mack and his team at N