Periodontal Treatment with North Canyon Dentistry
The word periodontal means “around the tooth”. Periodontal disease attacks the gums and the bone that support the teeth. Plaque is a sticky film of food debris, bacteria, and saliva. If plaque is not removed, it turns into calculus (tartar). When plaque and calculus are not removed, they begin to destroy the gums and bone. Periodontal disease is characterized by red, swollen, and bleeding gums.
Four out of five people have periodontal disease and don’t know it! Most people are not aware of it because the disease is usually painless in the early stages.
Not only is it the number one reason for tooth loss, research suggests that there may be a link between periodontal disease and other diseases such as, stroke, bacterial pneumonia, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and increased risk during pregnancy. Researchers are determining if inflammation and bacteria associated with periodontal disease affects these systemic diseases and conditions. Smoking also increases the risk of periodontal disease.
Good oral hygiene, a balanced diet, and regular dental visits can help reduce your risk of developing periodontal disease.
Signs and symptoms of periodontal disease:
- Bleeding gums – Gums should never bleed, even when you brush vigorously or use dental floss.
- Loose teeth – Also caused by bone loss or weakened periodontal fibers (fibers that support the tooth to the bone).
- New spacing between teeth – Caused by bone loss.
- Persistent bad breath – Caused by bacteria in the mouth.
- Pus around the teeth and gums – Sign that there is an infection present.
- Receding gums – Loss of gum around a tooth.
- Red and puffy gums – Gums should never be red or swollen.
- Tenderness or Discomfort – Plaque, calculus, and bacteria irritate the gums and teeth.
We encourage you to contact us with any questions or comments you may have. Please call our office or use the quick contact form below.
I have to say I was pretty nervous, my experience was a pleasant one. I was kept comfortable. I am not going to say it was 100 % pain free, but, for the most part I felt comfortable and relaxed and ev
I LOVE Dr Mack and his staff...they are all awesome!!! I honestly can't say enough good things about them!! They make going to the Dentist a pleasant experience; I never thought that was possible! I l
Dr Mack and the entire office staff is AWESOME!! We started going about 14 years ago because the pediatric dentist couldn't "handle" my child who has HF Autism. Dr Mack and staff took the time to work
At 67 I have had my share of "dental experiences" spread out over various cities in the US. In truth, almost all have been fairly good. But it wasn't until I discovered Dr Mack and his team at North C